Monday, January 26, 2015

Pages 23- 28 (????)

If you have read my earlier blog post I had said chapter one of this textbook was completely pointless and confusing. After reading pages 23-28 I shall stick to my original assumption: this entire book is confusing as heck. 

The chapter always starts off with "In this chapter we will learn about tips on how to ____" and then continue to ramble on about Greek mythology. Now, I'm not saying I'm not a fan of Greek mythology... I just don't understand why it keeps coming up. I thought this textbook was about writing tips ... 

Anyway in the chapter in explains what the difference between definition and explanation is. Definition is a statement of the exact meaning of the word whereas an explanation means a statement or an account that makes something clear.

Example:

Dog.

Definition: a domesticated carnivorous mammal that typically has a long snout, an acute sense of smell, and a barking, howling, or whining voice. It is widely kept as a pet or for work or field sports.

Explanation: a chow is a (type) dog.


No comments:

Post a Comment